Like us on Facebook
Sopot is a seaside resort city in Eastern Pomerania on the southern coast of the Baltic Sea in northern Poland, with a population of approximately 40,000.
Sopot is a city with powiat (county) status, in Pomeranian Voivodeship. Until 1999 Sopot was part of the Gdansk Voivodeship. It lies between the larger cities of Gdansk to the southeast and Gdynia to the northwest. The three cities together make up the metropolitan area of Tri-City.
Sopot is a major health-spa and tourist resort destination. It has the longest wooden pier in Europe, at 515.5 metres, stretching out into the Bay of Gdansk. The city is also famous for its Sopot International Song Festival, the largest such event in Europe after the Eurovision Song Contest. Among its other attractions is a fountain of bromide spring water, known as the "inhalation mushroom".
Sights and attractions include:
- Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street (popular Monciak), main pedestrian zone of the city center, filled with restaurants, cafes, clubs and shops.
- Sopot Pier, the longest wooden pier in Europe, 450 metres from the edge of the shore, 650 m total
- Grand Hotel
- Balneotherapy Centre
- Sopot Lighthouse
- Grodzisko, a reconstructed early medieval Slavic stronghold
- Museum of Sopot
- Church of the Saviour
- Saint George Church and Saint Adalbert wayside shrine
- Old manor houses and villas, including the 18th-century Sierakowski Mansion and Spanish Manor, and the early 20th-century Sopot Belvedere (Sopocki Belwederek), place of stay of various Presidents and Prime Ministers of Poland during their visits to Sopot
- former Southern Baths (Lazienki Poludniowe)
- Sopot Hippodrome in the Karlikowo district
- the Sopot beach
- Krzywy Domek ("Crooked House") at the Monciak
- Forest Opera
- Dom Zdrojowy ("Spa House") with the adjacent garden and the State Art Gallery (Panstwowa Galeria Sztuki)
- Ergo Arena, a multi-purpose indoor arena
- Park Pólnocny ("Northern Park") with the statue of Jean Georg Haffner
- Home Army monument, statue of Wojtek the Bear and memorial stone dedicated to Danuta Siedzikówna
- hotels, restaurants, etc.
Feel free to Email me any additions or corrections
LINKS AVAILABLE TO YOUR SITE