Like us on Facebook

MENU
Europe
Poland
Augustow
Bialowieza
Bialystok
Bydgoszcz
Dzwirzyno
Gdansk
Jaroslawiec
Karpacz
Katowice
Kazimierz Dolny
Kielce
Kolobrzeg
Krakow
Krynica-Zdroj
Lodz
Lublin
Miedzyzdroje
Mielno
Naleczow
Niechorze
Olsztyn
Opole
Poznan
Pulawy
Rewal
Rzeszow
Sopot
Suwalki
Swieradow Zdroj
Swinoujscie
Szczecin
Szklarska Poreba
Ustronie Morskie
Warsaw
Wisla
Wroclaw
Zakopane
Zamosc
Things to do in Pulawy
Things to do in Poland



Pulawy


Pulawy is a city in eastern Poland, in Lesser Poland's Lublin Voivodeship, at the confluence of the Vistula and Kurówka Rivers. Pulawy is the capital of Pulawy County. The city's 2019 population was estimated at 47,417. From 1846 to 1918, during the partitions of Poland, it was known as Nowa Aleksandria, or Nowo Aleksandria. Its coat of arms is the Pahonia.

Pulawy was first mentioned in documents of the 15th century. At that time it was spelled Pollavy, its name probably coming from a Vistula River ford located nearby. The town is a local center of science, industry and tourism, together with nearby Naleczów and Kazimierz Dolny. Pulawy is home to Poland's first permanent museum and is a Vistula River port.

The town has two bridges and four rail stations, and serves as a road junction. In nearby Deblin there is an airport.

The most valuable landmark in Pulawy is the Baroque-Classicist Palac Czartoryskich (Czartoryskis' palace) and park complex, dating from 1676 to 1679 (architect Tylman van Gameren), burned in 1706, remodeled 1722-36, and again by Chrystian Piotr Aigner ca. 1800. It includes classicist park pavilions dating from the early 19th century. One of these, the colonnaded round Temple of the Sibyl, is the setting Boleslaw Prus' striking micro-story, "Mold of the Earth." In 2005 the inside of the main part of the complex was opened to visitors. Other buildings of the palace house the Soil and Fertilizer Institute. The palace is surrounded by a 30-hectare park, which was in 1798-1806 fashioned into an English landscape garden. Near the Temple of the Sibyl is the "Gothic House", built between 1800 and 1809, to commemorate Prince Józef Poniatowski's visit to Pulawy. It now houses the Regional Museum.

Among other interesting buildings located in the park are:
  • Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1800-03) by Chrystian Piotr Aigner, styled after the Pantheon, Rome, originally - Czartoryskis' Chapel. It is actually located outside the park.
  • Palace of Marynka (1790-94), built for Maria Wirtemberska,
  • Roman Gate, built in 1829 as a permanent ruin, styled after the Arch of Titus,
  • Greek House (1778-1791), currently a public library,
  • Yellow House, in which Tsar Alexander II of Russia stayed,
  • Chinese Arbor,
  • marble sarcophagus, brought from Rome in 1799 by Adam Jerzy Czartoryski,
  • a 1790 sculpture of Clorinda and Tancredi.
  • In the town itself, there are few interesting buildings, among which is a former town hall, former Orthodox church, and a historic inn.



leon@euroguides.ukFeel free to Email me any additions or corrections


LINKS AVAILABLE TO YOUR SITE


Leon Edgar Books